Monday, 30 June 2014

An avocet at sea. Framed.


It was my mum's birthday a couple of weeks ago, and as usual I wanted to make her something special.  She hadn't yet been the recipient of any of my birdy work (last year it was a bag, and for Christmas a notebook), so out came an avocet in applique and machine embroidery, one of her favourite birds.  I decided to do something a little different to my previous efforts and added the name.  It's actually quite tricky freehand embroidering words, especially when your handwriting is as illegible as mine.  More practice certainly required.
I've mentioned before my love of all thing map, and in my previous life as a navigator of warships I accumulated a number of outdated charts.  Rather conveniently I managed to find one covering the area where my mother grew up.
The boy helped me with the wrapping - a little toddler artwork.  More on this in a future post.

And inside - an avocet flag framed with a chart background.  
What do you think?  Perhaps I'll do a few more birdies like this.


Kate x

No comments:

Post a Comment