Wednesday, 5 March 2014

The WIPs

I gave my sewing box a bit of a clear out and reorganise yesterday - the contents had begun to spill out over the dining room and were proving far too enticing for the boy.  In an effort to save my stash from sticky banana hands and snot I emptied the lot and packed it away again to keep it ship shape.

Whilst in the throes of thrashing out the mess, I came across my many WIPs (works in progress).  Time for an inventory and definitely time to get on with converting the WIPs into works complete, got to keep those new year's resolutions!
A pile of WIPs
So, here goes:

1.  The neglected quilt #1:
I'll be honest - there's no way this is getting finished anytime soon.  I made the patchwork quilt top about 6 or 7 years ago, whilst I was still in the Royal Navy during a leave period.  It was my first real foray into the world of patchwork and the beginnings of reacquainting myself with sewing after many years without doing more than stitching on a button or a nametape.  This completed quilt top was finished pretty quickly - lots of ludicrously late nights as my addiction snowballed.  But since then it has sat in my sewing box awaiting backing and basting and quilting.  One day!
2.  The neglected quilt #2:
A few years ago I bought a moda layer cake and resolved immediately to turn it into a pretty quilt.  An idea for a design soon followed, then the quilt blocks were completed.  But then I edged them with a fabric, which I almost immediately decided I didn't like.  So there's rather a lot of unpicking to get on with, then I need to think about how I really want the quit to look...
3.  The (semi-)neglected quilt #3:
This one is less neglected and more a casualty of my slack attitude towards the timely delivery of presents.  I started this for my godson's Christening which was 18 months ago.  It doesn't need much more work - just finishing the quilting then binding.  This is definitely high up on my list of priorities - it would be nice for little Jasper to get his quilt before he gets to university!
4.  Butterfly bunting:
Another set of butterfly bunting for another lovely new arrival...
5.  Changing mats:
A whole stack of changing mats that I started ages ago!  
6.  Top Secret:
A top secret WIP - here's just a glimpse...
7.  Christmas bunting:
I started this robin and heart bunting for Christmas.  Failed spectacularly to get beyond the first 2 flags so decided to complete it for Valentines Day.  Lost my sewing mojo so that didn't happen either.  I'll get back to this sometime before Christmas 2014.  Maybe.
8.  Rompers:
2 pairs of rompers I started for the boy.  One of which is so nearly complete, the other is just cut from the pattern.  Neither will fit him now; not a great incentive to finish them.
9.  The extra-large owl:
A couple of years ago I decided to make an owl tea cosy for a lovely lady who rather loves both tea and owls.  I designed it myself and was pretty pleased with the results, until I realised it is entirely too big and the wrong shape for any teapot I have seen.  So it was never finished and now I have no idea what to do with it.  Any suggestions gratefully received!
Best I get sewing then.  Not tonight though; this evening I'll mostly be drinking wine and eating pizza with a couple of friends.

Kate x

No comments:

Post a Comment