Sunday, 12 January 2014

Granny's buttons

Today is my Granny G's 90th birthday.  We had a little family tea party in the home where she now lives.  She moved out of her house a while ago now, when her alzheimers became too much to live by herself any longer.  Last year was pretty emotional, clearing out her house so it can be sold, so many happy memories for us all.  She had quite a collection of vintage sewing supplies, among them a few tins of old buttons, many of which I think must have been passed down from her mother and maybe even grandmothers.  Buttons that have been salvaged from all manner of outfits; I love that nothing was ever thrown out, kept for future use. 
Love the retro boxes
Pretty glass...
Shiny metal...
Plastic fantastic...
Crazy shapes...
The ones on the left look like little aeroplanes!
1960s retro...
Lovely leather - some of these look like they came off a dufflle coat...
Some old dress shirt buttons...
And my favourite, the mother of pearl buttons...
Oh how pretty they are, gleaming and shining, with the shell showing on the back giving a hint of where they came from.
What to do with all these buttons?  Some of them have made appearances in the little clothes I've stitched...
I wanted to make something for my parents with some of the pretty mother of pearl beauties.  With a little wire, bias binding and thread I came up with this...
Then I made a couple of pairs of earrings...
Whilst at my parents, Dad pulled out another old box for me to take a look at...
This one containing a load of old military buttons, some from my granddad...
One of my favourite finds was this, from the days when mangling clothes was the norm...
So many lovely buttons, from my granny, my great-grandmothers and quite possibly my great-great-grandmothers...
There's still a fair few buttons left so I think I'll make some more of the button hearts.  When I get round to it.  For now I'l just enjoy the gleam of those buttons in their jar, and playing with the buttons in their boxes.

Kate x


No comments:

Post a Comment