Saturday, 21 December 2013

It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas...

It is indeed beginning to look a lot like Christmas, and I have found myself with just 4 days to go until the big day without having written any of the christmassy blog posts I was planning.  It has been a most unplanned absence from Halcyon Threads, but these December days have just flown by.  The boy turned one, so there was preparation to do for his little party, including my very un-domestic goddess attempt at a birthday cake for him.  An avid fan of the GBBO, it seems I am more of an armchair baker...  My vision of a white cake decorated by smarties and piped with 1 turned sour as the white chocolate ganache turned yellow; I panicked and dyed it sludge blue.  With a bath duck atop it was a far cry from my original vision but it tasted good and the boy is way too young to care.  Don't set the standards too high I say!

The lengthy plans for christmas sewing and gift making have taken a back seat as we have spent time with family from Australia, then the inevitable round of December bugs have kept me away from the machine.  But I have squeezed a couple of projects in, one Christmas gift (more about that post-Christmas), and this festive bunting for the boy...
Made with some more applique and freehand machine embroidery, my favourite is the first one...
R is for Rudolph the red nosed reindeer!
A is for Angel
I couldn't really think of an appropriately festive L, so a rather tenuous L is for Light, illustrated by a star...
L is for Light
P is for Present
H is for Holly
I finally hung it yesterday, after an unexpectedly festive afternoon out to buy the tree.  After trying and failing to find trees in a couple of local "pop-up" tree shops, we headed to the local garden centre.  There was an amazing winter wonderland display there which the boy just loved...
The boy walking in the winter wonderland...
I was told I was last minute leaving it until the 20th December, but with the boy and PLH having birthdays earlier in the month I love leaving it until later on.  We learnt an important lesson about Christmas Trees and toddlers this morning...
So now the tree is looking somewhat naked in the nether regions! 
With the decorations up, the cards and parcels finally sent off and all the last minute shopping completed (nearly!), I'm feeling festive and looking forward to watching Love Actually and Die Hard, drinking mulled wine and wrapping the presents.

Kate x

No comments:

Post a Comment