Tuesday, 8 October 2013

L is for Lapwing

Wow, wasn't the weather just fabulous today - definitely more summer than autumn.  With the forecast suggesting it will be decidedly more wintry come Thursday, the boy and I decided to make the most of the sunshine and get out amongst it.  Keen to use my new bino strap in anger, we headed to Titchfield Haven for a spot of spotting.  I've only been there once before, but OMG(!) - it's a beautiful place.  
A Haven for birdlife
Beach huts on the Solent
The view from one of the many hides
Birdwatching snooze for the boy
Boats in the harbour
Although not totally wader-tastic today, we still saw a fair few lovelies, amongst them one of my favourites, Lapwings.  Oh I love these birds; the crest gives them such a cheeky appearance and in flight they have such a distinctive, oversized and rounded wing...
Not my photo - if only my photography skills were this good!
Fabulous in flight
Rather inspired by the lovely lapwings, I thought I'd have a go at stitching one.  First a sketch or two...
Then tracing onto bondaweb, applique with a few scraps and back on with the trusty darning needle for a little freehand machine embroidery embellishment...
I made it into an alphabet bunting flag - L is for Lapwing!
Perhaps I'll do a whole range of birdy ones - they may be a bit special interest but I think I know a few of my family members who might like them!

Kate x

No comments:

Post a Comment