Tuesday, 10 September 2013

Latest threads - vintage rompers




Following my first steps in making baby clothes I have become a bit obsessed by the idea of stitching outfits for the boy.  To be honest I’m not overly keen on so many of the baby clothes around for boys and I’m definitely not a fan of dressing babies like mini adults.  A quick search on eBay turned up a few vintage patterns suitable for baby boys and I selected another romper pattern; this one looks like it’s from the 70s.  I love the illustrations on these old patterns – not sure I’ll be letting the boy eat a jammy dodger any time soon though!


PLH thinks I dress the boy in nothing but blue (it does suit him though), so to prove him wrong I selected a non-blue fabric from my recent purchases.  Colourful little trains.


This time the popper tape was somewhat easier to sew in – I think the instructions on this pattern were clearer.

I am really pleased with them – the boy seems to find them comfortable and we’ve had quite a few compliments!  They are a little large and we need to roll up the hems a touch so hopefully they will last him a couple of months.

More buttons from granny's collection.
My only disappointment is the fact I didn’t match up the pattern exactly on the front seam, although to be honest this may be a level of skill my dressmaking is not quite equal to yet!

This pattern will certainly be getting another outing in a different fabric - perhaps in that bright blue cord.

Kate x

1 comment: