Monday, 9 September 2013

Latest Fabric Finds

It’s no secret amongst my family and friends that I have a bit of a fabric addiction – oooh I love a bit of fabric I do.  Despite my best efforts to contain my stash within the confines of my (not exactly compact) sewing box, from time to time I find I have a little more than can be confined!  Cottons are my weapons of choice – I really can’t be doing with the slippery static-y feel of polyester.   Every now and then I put myself on a fabric ban; I try ever so hard to use only the swathes that I already have.  But when stitching together my first commission (more on that in a later post) recently I found I had nothing large enough to line the bag with (well, nothing that was quite right!).  So a little restock was in order! 

First I took a trip to the Eternal Maker, a cavernous barn of fabric loveliness on the outskirts of Chichester.  Stocking an astonishing array of high-end designer quilting fabrics, Japanese linens and much more, this really is a place to mind your purse strings.  Given my maternity-leave-come stay-at-home-mum bank balance and the average £13 per metre price tags, I was super-restrained and managed to stick to my list, well almost!  Some super-soft fleece to back a quilt for my godson and these couple of quarters…
The one on the left reminds me of sweets.
Next up was the cheap as chips Portsmouth branch of Fabricland.  It can be a bit hit and miss in terms of the cottons they have in, but the stock changes frequently and if I see something I like I generally buy a metre or half.  Hit and miss it may be but this trip I struck gold.  Here are my latest acquisitions…
Nautical but nice, super stars and bright blue cord - these may well become rompers for the boy!
Pretty polkadots, tasty strawberries and bright flowers
An abstract design - on closer inspection I noticed they were peacocks!
Choo choo - here come the trains!
It won’t be long before I’m cutting into these lovelies!

Kate x

No comments:

Post a Comment