Tuesday, 3 September 2013

First Steps (in following a sewing pattern)

I was recently inspired by my lovely friend Alison to attempt a little outfit for the boy.  She made the cutest little rompers for her daughter using a pattern used by her mother when she was a baby (Alison, not her mum!).  Very kindly she lent me the pattern. 
I love the cute pictures of the babies!

My experience in following sewing patterns is extremely limited – I did an evening class a few years ago and although I learnt a bit about deciphering the cipher-esque language of the sewing pattern, I ended up with a top I hated so much it has never been worn – it is destined for the charity shop in the not too distant future.  I have tended to wing it thus far in my adventures in sewing – patchwork, bags, blankets, bibs and much more all studiously avoiding the use of the pattern.

But following the recent Great British Sewing Bee, I was excited to be getting my hands on a real-life pattern again and found a perfect baby boy fabric in Portsmouth’s super-cheap Fabricland.  It was all fairly straightforward and extremely satisfying… Until I got to sewing in the popper tape – arggghhhh, it was so tricky to understand the sewing directions for this.  But, eventually I got there (after more than a little swearing, stitching and unpicking) and here is the finished result…

Gathering detail.

Vintage bone buttons from my granny's collection.

The boy looking pretty pleased with his outfit!

I’m really pleased with them and thankfully they fitted the boy.  They have been perfect for the hot summer we’ve had!  The only thing I would change is to use popper tape that has bigger gaps between the poppers – changing nappies involves about 20 or so pops which really irritates PLH!

So then I used the pattern again to go popper-free and make the dress version for a friend’s daughter…

Yummy strawberry fabric.

More vintage buttons from granny's collection.

Oh I don’t think it will be long before I’m making more little clothes!

No comments:

Post a Comment